Top chemicals to avoid:
1.) Parabens are preservatives used in many personal care products including lotions, shampoos, makeup and personal wipes.
Phthalates and Bysphenol (BPA) which are used in the production of plastics.
3.) Many pollutants are endocrine disruptors. A 1996 Review Article via National Institue of Health states,
"Examples of agents that have been shown to alter reproductive development in various species via an endocrine mechanism include:
- Hormones and drugs, including DES, progestogens, androgens, ecdysteroids and farnesyl hormones
- Metabolic inhibitors, including 5-a-reductase inhibitors
- Pesticides, including DDT and its metabolites, chlordecone, and vinclozolin
- Phytoestrogens and mycotoxins
- Other chemicals, including dioxins and some PCBs"
How to reduce hormone disruptors
- Buy organic food
- Look for products that are "Paraben Free"
- Use non plastic containers such as glass and stainless steel. Other tips to avoid Phthalates and BPA
- Use unscented or natural fragrances
- Buy green cleaning products
- Use non-toxic insect repellant
- Kill pests with natural methods such as beneficial insects or non-toxic chemicals
More on Removing Endocrine Disruptors
More on Endocrine Disruptors