Juicing daily or even a few days a week is a wonderful gift to yourself and your health. There are countless micro nutrients in whole foods, yet only a small number are included in vitamin supplements. The best "vitamin supplement" you can get, is fresh, organic juice, alongside a well-balanced organic diet. Juices help to create the strong foundation upon which good health and vitality are built upon. And intense juicing has been successfully used in treating serious illness. I frequently recommend to cancer patient that they investigate intensive juicing therapy as used by The Gerson Institute.
Are you ready to take the next step and get started juicing for your health? Amazon supplies a variety of cold-press fruit and vegetable juice machines. There are many styles, sizes and price ranges. A couple things to remember:
- I recommend a cold-press juicer which extract juice by first crushing and then pressing fruit and vegetables for the highest juice yield. They press more goodness making the juice more intensely flavored as well as more nutrient dense. Because cold-press juicers don't produce as much heat, they avoid oxidation and keep more of the fresh ingredients' nutrients intact.
- It's best to consume the juice while fresh. However, to fit your busy lifestyle, juicing at night and storing in an air-tight container over night in the refrigerator may be necessary. It's best to consume fresh juice within the first 24 hours for optimal nutrients and benefit- after all, there are NO preservatives here.
- Always juice Organic fruits and vegetables! You're goal is to get healthy and absorb the most out of your juices- you don't want extra toxins. Keep your food as clean as possible and give our body the best available.
- Feeling lost about what fruits and veggies to combine? Try the recipe below for Green Juice. Utilize online resources and search for delicious recipes to get you going. Maybe you like a savory concoction or more on the sweeter side- find what makes your body feel satisfied.
- There are cold-pressed juice cleanses out there but it's important to start small if this is your first experience with juicing. As your body becomes acclimated and you feel like a full juice cleanse is the next step for your system, please book a nutritional consultation with Dr. Kelley so together we can help you achieve your goal of optimal health. A healthy diet incorporated with Chiropractic stability is the perfect recipe to keep you going!
Green Juice Recipe and Preparation from the Gerson Institute
- Dark green lettuces – ¼ to ½ of a head (depending on the size of the lettuce): red and green leaf lettuces, romaine, endives. (Iceberg is useless and do not use!)
- Escarole – 2 or 3 leaves
- Beet tops (young inner leaves) – 2 to 3 leaves
- Watercress – 5 or 6 leaves
- Red cabbage – 2 or 3 leaves
- Green bell pepper – ¼
- Swiss chard – little
- Green apple – 1
Preparation: Greens should be washed taking care to rinse off sand or soil that is often present at the base of the leaves. Shake off water or put in salad spinner to remove excess moisture. Cut off bottom portion of stems of chard or any other fibrous leaves. Chop up because it is quite stringy and hard to pulp. This avoids raising temperature of pulp and killing enzymes. Using a two-step (grinder/press) juicer, grind and collect pulp in a bowl. When all produce has been ground stir thoroughly, but not so much as to introduce unnecessary air into the pulp.
If you’re using an electric press raise the juice part slowly to avoid having pulp squirt out of cloth and onto the juice person. Using multiple juicing cloths you can prepare the second cloth while the first one is pressing. Also, some people will fold over the squashed cloth/pulp package and press it again to get a little more juice out of the pulp. Wash juicer after every green juice. After pressing, the remaining pulp, conveniently packaged in the juice cloth, can be discarded. The green juice is much more active than the carrot or carrot/apple juices and should be consumed immediately. Dr. Gerson did not recommend storage of the green juice for any length of time before consumption as it deteriorates rapidly.
If you're interested in getting healthy and have questions, please call (843) 321-8119 or schedule online at www.chirokelley.com